Electronic Resume Tips
There will be times in your job search when you will need an electronic version of your resume. By saving your Word version in what's referred to as a text version, your resume will be readable in all systems and job sites.
Once converted to text format, you will be able to e-mail your resume or paste it directly into web-based forms and submit it to the Internet resume databanks. Follow these simple rules:
- Using your word processing program, open your resume and use the "Save As" function to save a copy as a "Text Only". Title your document with an easily distinguishable name such as "resume_internet.txt"
- Close your word processing program and re-open the .txt file. You will not be able to see your changes until you have done this. You will see that it has been stripped of virtually all original formatting.
- Go through your new document line-by-line. Align all text flush to the left-hand margin.
- Remove all "centering", "right hand margin", and "justifications" alignments.
- If still visible, remove all graphics, artwork, and special character formatting.
- Remove all tab characters.
- Remove all columns.
- Replace bullets with a simple asterisk (*).
- Check the spelling and accuracy of your data.
Worksheet: Text Resume Example